Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Salary Cap - 10 yrs IT experience and cap at $3.2k

Realise there is a comment on my previous post, the information is as follows:

I gratuated from Ngee Ann in 95. My starting pay is 1.4k/mth. After working
in a IT firm for about 10+ yrs , my pay is 3.2k/mth. I have MCSE ( NT4 ) and
CCNA. Recently, I just completed my degree
.

This very unfortunate guy, he been working for 10 years and the pay is only $3.2k. That is about the same as the starting salary for very fortunate fresh graduate.

I believe this is due to the salary cap. In many commpanies, they do have a guideline on the salary band. For example, if you have this qualification and this job grade, there is a minimum (I hope so) and maximum salary that you can obtain. So if you find that you been working for many years, and you are not promoted and not getting any more increment, that could be you reach the cap.

So to get higher salary, you got to upgrade yourself, to get a certificate, or move to another company that value more your experience than your qualification.



Click here for more IT salary information



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, let me give you an opposite example:
1998 - graduated with BSCS from 3rd world uni
2008 - work for MNC in Singapore on employment pass, monthly is 13k and no, I'm not a manager (though pay grade is senior manager I'm an individual contributor), just good at what I do. I expect another 1k increment this year, I know it's not much relatively to my monthly pay but hey it's ok lah. Also get 1mnth AWS and about 5-8k bonus every quarter. BTW, I never ever bargained for salary or promotion. I suck at negotiation (that's why don't shop at markets, stick to malls with price tags). Getting things done seems to work like a charm with my boss, my boss's boss and boss of my boss's boss.

Remember, getting irreplaceable or getting results that make bosses look really really good work wonders.

Search for Job, Salary, Education, Seminar Information

Use the tag below to see more exciting salary reports.

Salary Info      Education      Jobs      Others
Financial
IT
Engineering
Salary & Increment
Discussions
     MBA
NTU Courses
Investment Seminar
Education Info
Seminar
     Jobs Opening
Resume Tips
News
Recession 2009
Funny & Meaningful
     Survey
Hong Kong
Australia

Last 5 Articles